Akvaplan-niva AS, established in 1984, offers a wide range of environmental consultancy, monitoring and research services. The company has 58 employees and had a turnover of USD 13,3 million in 2011.
Akvaplan-niva AS is a non-profit company with all of its shares owned by the Norwegian Institute for Water Research, NIVA.
Aquaculture & Environmental Research & Consultancy
Akvaplan-niva provides services in environmental and aquaculture consultancy, research and analytical services to industry, authorities, research foundations and other clients worldwide. The company’s services include environmental monitoring surveys, impact and environmental risk assessments, Arctic environmental research, aquaculture design and management consultancy, development of new aquaculture species and new technology, and a number of accredited environmental and technical inspections. Akvaplan-niva designs projects to fulfil the needs of its clients, using up-to date techniques in accordance with relevant standards and procedures. Akvaplan-niva’s international staff, representing 14 different countries, is accredited for sampling, analyzing, interpreting and reporting of biological samples according to NS-ISO 17025. The company’s main office and laboratory are located in the Fram Centre in Tromsø, Norway.
Akvaplan-niva offers a wide range of environmental services including:
• Environmental monitoring and resource surveys
• Environmental assessments and risk analyses
• Environmental modelling
• Research and method development for the petroleum sector
• Services for the aquaculture sector
• Biological, chemical and geological laboratory analyses
• Environmental research on biodiversity, climate change and ecotoxicology
Akvaplan-niva’s international staff has hand-on experience with a number of cold and warm water species in aquaculture, including salmon, trout, tilapia, sea bream, sea bass, cod, wolfish, halibut, turbot, groupers, sole, eel and shrimp. The company’s aquaculture professionals provide a comprehensive range of services to customers worldwide:
• Planning of sustainable aquaculture for regional and national authorities: Development of aquaculture development plans and integrated coastal zone management strategies with focus on sustainable aquaculture
• Start-up commercial aquaculture for investors and fish farmers: Evaluation and site studies/surveys, pre-feasibility studies, business plans and finance, feasibility studies, conceptual and detailed design
• Management and supervision commercial aquaculture: Monitoring and improvement of management and environmental practices
• Technical inspections and environmental monitoring according to Norwegian Standard NS9410 and NS9415
• Research and development for private companies and research organizations: Developing new aquaculture concepts and technologies for commercial production of new aquaculture species - from laboratory to large scale
• Research facilities for authorities and non-governmental organizations: Designing and planning of research facilities