Europe´s largest and most innovative facilities for fresh fish and seafood opens today (25.03.14) at Kalbakken in Oslo. With the Sjømathuset seafood production facility, Lerøy and NorgesGruppen will provide more, better and fresher fish and seafood for Meny´s fish departments and a wider range of pre-packed seafood to all of Norway's grocery stores.
Sjømathuset breaks new ground by grouping production of pre-packed fish, loose weight and sushi under the same roof, in the most modern and efficient facilities for distribution of fresh seafood. Never before have such large volumes of fresh seafood been processed, packaged and distributed from one single plant in Norway. The goal is clear from both partners; Increase consumption of seafood in the Norwegian population .
- I'm proud that NorgesGruppen now takes a position on fresh fish in cooperation with Lerøy. Sjømathuset is a unique facility for NorgesGruppen stores. It will help create competitiveness in Meny´s well stocked fish counters, and also help us get a broader and fresher product range for all our customers through packaged fish and seafood, says NorgesGruppen´s CEO , Tommy Korneliussen .
Lerøy´s CEO Henning Beltestad highlights the many and significant steps taken in the value chain to improve the quality, assortment and availability.
- Lerøy is so much more than salmon! Sjømathuset is a result of the cooperation we have had with NorgesGruppen since 2006. We are now making fresh seafood of the highest quality available in grocery stores across the whole country. Everything from skreiloins and salmon, portions of lobster and crab claws are packaged in the fresh fish counter. Never before has so much quality seafood been so accessible to the Norwegian retail customer, says Beltestad.
Meny alone account for almost 30 percent of all fresh fish sales in Norway. For them Sjømathuset will be an important tool towards the goal of providing Norway's fresh fish counters with top quality seafood all year round.
- Meny´s customers are very concerned about fresh fish and seafood, both in terms of quality, price and availability. With Sjømathuset, we are better equipped to satisfy customer demands, and simultaneously reach our goal of at least 15 percent increase in seafood sales every year going forward. Last year we sold fish for 813 millions NOK. Next year we aim to pass one billion, says CEO of Meny, Vegard Kjuus .
This is Sjømathuset
- Sjømathuset is a partnership between Lerøy Seafood Group and NorgesGruppen. Lerøy that owns and manages it and NorgesGruppen is its only customer.
- Sjømathuset is a beacon in Europe when it comes to cooperation between manufacturer and retailer .
- Sjømathuset will deliver pre-packaged seafood and sushi to NorgesGruppen's stores across the country, as well as loose weight to the Oslo area.
- Sjømathuset has 111 employees and an estimated turnover of 450 million NOK. The anticipated volume of seafood meals for 2014 is 45 million for Norway alone!
- State of the art, efficient and sizeable offices at Kalbakken in Oslo. 5800 sqm on two floors. Capacity of 8-10 000 tonnes and 20 million pieces of sushi.