Cooperation on Joint Strike Fighter will continue

Norway's cooperation with the US on the development of the military aircraft Joint Strike Fighter will continue, despite the lack of contracts for Norwegian defence industry so far.

Norway's cooperation with the US on the development of the military aircraft Joint Strike Fighter will continue, despite the lack of contracts for Norwegian defence industry so far.

This became clear after the Labour Party secured a majority in Parliament.

Labour had threatened to refuse to agree to further cooperation, since Lockheed Martin has so far not kept its promise to award any contracts to Norwegian industry.

Norway has over the past two years paid NOK 200 million to Lockheed Martin towards the development of the new fighter bomber, without Norwegian industry getting very much in return.

This has led among others the Progress Party to oppose an extension of the contract.

However, the leader of the Parliamentary Defence Committe, Labour's Marit Nybakk, who has earlier voiced strong criticism of the US attitude regarding the agreement, said Monday night that since the US now has promised to take the Norwegian demands seriously, her party is willing to give them a new chance.

She said this had become apparent after representatives for Lockheed Martin had been in Norway earlier this week to renew contracts with Norwegian industry.

At the same time, Nybakk said that she expected that the Government would now follow up the agreement, and keep a constant pressure to bear to make sure the Americans kept their promises.