The Norwegian Government in cooperation with the UN (OCHA) is hosting a high-level humanitarian pledging conference for South Sudan in Oslo on Tuesday 20 May. The aim is to increase humanitarian funding and to agree on what more can be done to improve the delivery of humanitarian assistance.
Press accreditation in advance is required.
A valid ID card, Press Card or passport must be presented when picking up your accreditation.
According to UN estimates, 4.9 million people are in need of humanitarian assistance, and 1.2 million people have been forced to flee their homes. There are reports of killings and gross violations of human rights. Since the conflict broke out in December last year, food production has declined dramatically, and around one million people could face famine if the international aid effort is not stepped up.
Place: Radisson Blu Scandinavia Hotel, Holbergsgate 30, Oslo
Time: Tuesday 20 May, from 10am to 2pm (Press briefing at 9 AM)
- Press briefing by MFA and OCHA at 9 am in the press centre (next to the main conference room)
- The conference hall is open for the press from 10:00-11:00 am (until the first break)
- The press centre is open throughout the day
- Press conference after the conference, at approx. 2 pm in the press centre.
- One-to-one interviews can be conducted in the press centre and at dedicated locations in the lobby outside of the press centre throughout the day.
- Press Centre with work stations and high-speed wireless internet connection available free of charge
- Wireless internet available in all areas
- Camera platform and sound output located at the back of the conference hall
- Photocopying facilities will be available.
- Computers and telephones will not be provided.
- Voltage is 220V, power plugs in Norway have two round pins. Media need to provide their own adapters if they use different voltage and plugs.
- Conference staff will be present in the Press Centre at all times.
Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) media platforms
- Twitter: @NorwayMFA @borgebrende
- Instagram: utenriksdept
- Conference hashtag: #SouthSudanConf
OCHA media platforms
- Twitter: @unocha @ochasouthsudan @valerieamos
Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
For general communication issues and media:
Senior Comms Adviser +47 922 84 752
Senior Comms Adviser +47 926 89 277
Comms Adviser + 47 948 69 300
Public Information Officer / Spokesperson, Jens Laerke,