The Norwegian government is strongly committed to the fight against FGM (female genital mutilation), and child marriage, early and forced marriage, at home and in our international engagement.
We have legislation to protect women and girls from these practices, and it has served as an important preventative measure. Civil society, affected communities and committed individuals have worked hard with government institutions to translate this important legislation into action that protect girls and women in Norway.
State Secretary Hans Brattskar at Girl Summit 2014: A future free from FGM and child and forced marriage. (Photo:
Aida Ghebreselasie, MFA)
We have a new domestic action plan against forced marriages, FGM and severe restrictions on the freedom of youth. With the new action plan we seek to use innovative approaches. One example is the development of a new “app” to be used by persons in danger of being married against their will.
Internationally, Norway has cooperated with civil society organizations to reach local partners. They engage with communities to enable and guide collective movement, for instance towards community declarations against FGM and child marriage.
Yesterday, our Foreign Minister Børge Brende presented a new strategy to increase our international effort against FGM. The Norwegian government will commit to:
- Doubling the resources allocated to civil society and international organizations working internationally on the prevention of FGM;
- We will develop a new partnership with the government of Somalia to end the practice of FGM;
- Continue to be a strong supporter to the UNFPA/UNICEF Joint Programme;
- Contribute to the capacity building of health personnel within prevention and treatment of FGM;
- Strengthen our efforts on FGM as an integrated part of other relevant development priorities - such as gender equality, maternal- and child health, primary education and human rights.
- The Norwegian government will also double its contribution to education for development over the next 3 – 4 years, and education for girls will be a high priority for us. Education provides girls knowledge and power to make their own choices, and a better life.
Ending FGM, child and forced marriage is a joint responsibility. We are ready to go this way.