The Center for Big Data Analysis at Uni Research Computing is seeking an experienced researcher with background in mathematics or physics on a permanent basis to strengthen its team. The successful candidate must have excellent programming skills and a strong interest in machine learning, mathematical and statistical modeling.
Uni Research Computing is a department of Uni Research, the non-for-profit research company affiliated with the University of Bergen, Norway. The department carries out research and development in computational sciences and related e-infrastructures. Research activities relate to both natural sciences and humanities and have a track record of more than 20 years.
Uni Research Computing is the host of the Center for Big Data Analysis. The center focuses on the application of Big Data science and technology in academia and industry. The successful candidate will work with and contribute to the currently eight staff strong team of the center, consisting of data- and applications scientists, programmers and IT experts. The focus of the new position will be equally on mathematical/statistical modeling and on technical developments (e-infrastructure, middleware). Application areas range from natural science applications to applications in the humanities.
- Enthusiasm, independence, creativity and flexibility
- Good communication skills
- Excellent programming skills in Python, Java and/or Scala
- Strong interest in machine learning, mathematical and statistical modeling, extended experience in one or more of these fields will be considered as a great plus
- Familiarity with Linux system is mandatory, familiarity with Hadoop/Spark will be considered as a great plus
- Master degree or equivalent higher education in mathematics or physics, a PhD degree will be considered as a great plus
- Good knowledge of English, written and oral.
- Stimulating, encouraging and positive work environment
- Great opportunities for independent project development
- Possibility to influence your own work, work-time and choice of solutions
Please click here to place an electronic application including a letter of motivation, your CV (including information about your contact details, educational background and achievements, information of two references) and address the requirements listed above explicitly and in detail.
For more information about Uni Research Computing, please refer to http://uni.no/en/uni-computing
The evaluation of candidates will begin on August 24th, 2015 and will continue until the position is filled.