Opera Software seeks a Systems Developer to join a team of highly qualified developers, content curators and publisher partners on Opera’s Discover service. The Discover service helps our users find and read great content on the internet, from any of their devices. The Discover service also helps publishers reach Opera's over 300M users.
Your task will be to develop and operate the Discover service. You are motivated by the challenge of working on a complex, distributed system. As a Systems Developer, you will work on all parts of the system, from the crawler to the recommendation technology. You have a strong understanding of algorithms, are a clear thinker and take responsibility for a task from start to deployment. The team is small and fast-paced, so we can put code quickly into production and measure the results.
Opera’s Discover team is part of a larger, global epartment with skilled engineers working on Opera services, sites and infrastructure. We use technologies including Python, Solr, Hadoop, Varnish, Puppet, Statsd and are always looking for suitable new tools.
- Work with the product owner to understand priorities.
- Collaborate with Opera's browser-client teams.
- Conduct experiments to determine the best solutions to problems.
- Develop and deploy new functions in the Discover server. Your task is not done, until it is working and live.
- Engaged in the product and technology
- Productive, producing a high volume of work
- Strong communicator in English
- Sharp, understanding complex algorithms and information retrieval problems and how to implement or avoid them, respectively
- Responsible, taking charge of small and large tasks from start to finish
- Able to demonstrate skills through prior results, references, case studies and interviews
- Experienced with some of these technologies and able to learn others quickly: Python, Solr, C, RESTful APIs, CSS, HTTP, RSS, Puppet, Hadoop, Apache, Nginx
Ideal job requirements
- College and/or advanced degree(s) in Computer Science, Information Systems
- Research background or professional experience from information retrieval, search, machine intelligence, semantic analysis or recommendation systems
- Able to fit quickly into a smart, fast-paced and down-to-earth software team
For immediate consideration, please apply online.