Opera Software seeks a Senior Information Retrieval Engineer to work in a team of highly qualified developers, content curators and publisher partners on Opera’s Discover service. The Discover service helps our users find and read great content on the internet, from any of their devices. The Discover service also helps publishers reach Opera's over 300M users.
Discover is news-oriented with a continuous inflow of new articles in over 30 languages. Your task will be to identify, implement and measure the results of the recommendation algorithms that select the most appropriate content to show to Opera users. You are motivated by the challenge and the opportunity to experiment on Opera's 300M strong user base. You can balance characteristics such as freshness, relevance and quality. By understanding both the article content and user interactions, you will improve our algorithms to adapt to national and personal tastes. Our approach will be to try, measure and evaluate in short iterations that yield results quickly.
Opera’s Discover team is part of a larger, global department with skilled engineers working with Opera services, sites and infrastructure. We use technologies including Python, Solr, Hadoop, Varnish, Puppet, Statsd and are always looking for suitable new tools.
- Serve as the information retrieval expert in the team.
- Work with the product owner to understand priorities.
- Design recommendation algorithms and experiments.
- Implement algorithms, together with our developers.
- Create user value quickly, through short term improvements.
- Maintain a long- term vision and work iteratively towards ambitious goals.
- M.S. or Ph.D. in Information Retrieval, Machine Intelligence or other relevant subjects
- Excellent English language skills
- Engaged in the product and technology
- Productive, producing a high volume of work
- Responsible, taking charge of small and large tasks from start to finish
- Good judgment, able to evaluate and trade off benefits for users, publishers, complexity and cost when choosing solutions
- Experienced with some of these technologies and able to learn others quickly: Python, Solr, C, RESTful APIs, CSS, HTTP, RSS, Puppet, Hadoop, Apache, Nginx
Ideal job requirements
- Practical experience in implementing recommendation algorithms
- Able to fit quickly into a smart, fast-paced and down-to-earth software team
For immediate consideration, please apply online.