Project CLAYCAP, Physics department
The Physics department at IFE, Kjeller, has as main goal to utilize the neutron beams from the JEEP II nuclear reactor at Kjeller.The research addresses hydrogen storage materials, soft matter, magnetism and thermoelectric materials. The department has a broad collaboration with Norwegian universities and industries, and with many foreign universities and research institutes.
The Physics department has available a Postdoctoral Fellowship for 3 years in connection with the project "CO2 Capture and Retention by Smectite Clays - CLAYCAP".
The project is financed by the Research Council of Norway through the FRINATEK Program, and is a cooperation between IFE and the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), with international collaborators at Niels Bohr Institute (Denmark) and University of South Florida (USA)
- The theme of the postdoctoral research is the use of advanced experimental methods to follow the interaction between layered silicates (clays) and foreign molecules, principally CO2. We seek a person with good understanding of experimental condensed matter physics
- The activity will focus on the use of specially designed in-situ setups for neutron and x-ray scattering/spectroscopy, in which layered materials are exposed to varying conditions of liquid/gas pressure and temperature. Data obtained with these methods will be complemented by data from macroscopic investigations, such as calorimetry and pressure-composition-temperature (PCT) studies, as well as molecular dynamics simulations, in order get a good understanding of the interaction process. Collaboration with researchers at NTNU and internationally will be part of the project.
- Candidates are expected to have a PhD in physics, chemistry or materials technology. Background in experimental synchrotron and/or neutron studies on condensed matter system, preferably including in-situ work is desirable. The candidate should be self-driven and solution oriented.
- The evaluation of candidates will be based on scientific qualifications and ability to communicate efficiently. Good knowledge of the English language is essential.
- Exciting and challenging research tasks
- Participation in an international research team
- Social benefits including pension, life insurance and accident insurance
- Salary according to agreement
Start date: 01/07/2016
Number of positions: 1
For online application form: [Click here]